Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 5 or 6 dehydrated shitake mushrooms (about 1 oz.)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 box orzo
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 1/6 cups water (or chicken/veggie broth)
- 12 oz. frozen peas
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded or grated, your choice)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Rehydrate the shitake mushrooms in the 2 cups of hot water for ~20 minutes. Once rehydrated chop them up and set them aside with the peas. Save the liquid left over from rehydrating the ‘shrooms.
- In a large saute pan melt the butter and add the oil until hot. Pour the box of orzo in, stirring to coat with the butter & oil. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the orzo starts to brown. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the 4+ cups of water, stir and cover. Cook for approx. 9 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Add the reserved mushroom liquid, being careful to leave any residue that has settled to the bottom of the container and cook until the liquid has been absorbed by the orzo.
- Add the mushrooms, peas and Parmesan cheese. Stir to incorporate. Cover and move off the flame for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley. Taste, season with salt and pepper as necessary.