I saw a recipe somewhere earlier this week for a baked huevos rancheros and it sounded pretty tasty. I forgot to bookmark it and couldn’t find it later so I made one up using a few I found online.
Bake Huevos Rancheros
- 4 oz. chorizo, cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) kidney beans, well rinsed
- 1 jalapenos pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- salt & cracked black pepper
- jarred salsa
- 2 eggs
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place 2 oven proof dishes on a sheet pan and set aside.
- In a saucepan saute the chorizo over medium heat for several minutes until some of the oil is released. Add the chopped jalapenos and cook for until aromatic.
- Add the caramelized onions, kidney beans, cumin, and about a 1/2 a cup of water. Stir thorough to mix the onions among the beans.
- When the pot comes to a boil lower heat to maintain a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- When the beans are cooked split them between the 2 oven proof dishes.
- Spread salsa over the beans.
- Make a depression in the center of the beans and crack an egg into each dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the pan once.
- Turn on the broiler and sprinkle the cheese over each dish. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
Serve with sour cream, additional salsa if desired and tortilla chips.