If this post had a subtitle it would be “The Accidental Side Dish”.
I was aiming to make tabbouleh to use up some of the bounty of cherry tomatoes we arrived home to find. I’m not entirely sure what went awry however the result was pretty tasty. I served this with some pan seared chicken thighs.
One side note – You know how in most recipes you are told to prep everything first and then start cooking. Well I want you to ignore that for just a second. Before you start peeling & dicing get the bulgar started. It takes the most time of this dish. Starting it before doing the rest of the prep will save you time. Some days it is all about multitasking. So read the recipe through and then undertake step 1 in the directions below. After that you can get to the dicing.
Bulgar Wheat Porridge with Lime and Cherry Tomatoes
Servings: 4-6 as a side
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup bulgar wheat
- 3 cups water
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 Fresno chile, seeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- the zest from 1 lime
- the juice from 2 limes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- In a saucepan combine the bulgar wheat, water and a pinch of kosher salt. Heat on high until it boils. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Prep the shallot, chile, garlic, limes and place them in a medium bowl along with the olive oil. You want a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients which can be easily stirred. Add approx. 1/2 teaspoon of crack black pepper. Hold off on the salt for now. Stir to combine.
- When the bulgar has finished cooking spread it on a baking sheet lined with paper towel and allow it to cool for ten minutes. I did this because the bulgar still seemed very wet.
- Once the bulgar has cooled add it to the bowl along with the halved tomatoes. Stir to combine with the other ingredients.
- Give it a taste and adjust the salt to your preference.