I discovered this braised cabbage recipe in a magazine at the eye doctor’s office. We happened to have a head of cabbage at the time so it seemed worth a try. It worked out rather nicely.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 hours
- 1 head of red/purple cabbage
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 8 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- Prep the cabbage. Halve the cabbage, from root to crown. Cut out the root by making a “v” shaped cut along either side. Cut the halves into 1/2″ ribbons. Set aside
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a pot large enough to hold all the cabbage. Add the shallot and stir to coat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the shallot begins to soften.
- Add the mustard and vinegar to the pot. Stir to incorporate the mustard, vinegar and shallot.
- Add the cabbage to the pot. Toss the cabbage with the mustard, vinegard and shallot.
- Cover the pot and cook for 10-15 minutes, tossing the cabbage every few minutes.