Oh the weather outside is frightful… came to mind last night after what was a rainy and dreary December day. Not really frightful but enough to push me into a soup frame of mind.This recipe is based on one from Nadia G’s Bitchin’ Kitchen on Cooking Channel. Same ingredients, slightly different prep order, good soup.
Chunky Tomato Barley Soup with Chiptole
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 55-60 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion, diced (about 1 cup total)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, finely minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 Tbsp. raw sugar
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- yogurt or sour cream, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots and stir to coat with oil. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add the garlic and chipotle to the pot and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, barley and sugar. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and cook for 45-50 minutes.
- Test that barley; it should be soft but not mush. Add salt & pepper to taste. Serve up in a warmed bowl and garnish with yogurt or sour cream if desired.