I subscribe to a number of food product e-mail lists, mostly for the occasional coupons. One of my favorites is Goya. One of their recent recipes led me to their website where I came upon their recipe for Crab and Coconut Milk Rice. The husband, who was looking over my shoulder at the time, said “Oh, that sounds tasty.. And thus it was added to the try this sometime list.I thought the amount a liquid to rice was kind of off in the Goya recipe. I increased the amount of water & coconut milk. I also used the entire 16 oz. can of crab meat rather than the 12 oz. from the recipe. 4 oz. of crab just sitting in the fridge would get lost and eventually make me wonder what stunk.
As you can see from the picture I didn’t think the crab and coconut rice was quite enough for dinner. I cooked up a quick pan fried tilapia filet while the rice rested after cooking. It was a tasty combination.
Crab and Coconut Rice
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Goya sofrito
- 1 Tbsp. homemade sazon seasoning
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 16 oz. crab meat
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add sofrito, sazon and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and cook until aromatic, 1-2 minutes.
- Add crab meat, sir to combine and cook 2 – 3 minutes on low heat.
- Add water, coconut milk and 1/2 tsp. salt. Heat to a gentle boil.
- Add rice and mix well. Bring back to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes until rice is tender or to your taste.
- Check rice for doneness. If cooked to your satisfaction turn off the heat and place a clean towel between the pot and the cover. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.