Working with premade phyllo shells (sometimes labeled “fillo” in your grocers freezer) you can make some easy and tasty appetizers. I had purchased some locally-made pesto and had a bit of marinara that came with a calzone leftover. I picked up some “pearl” mozzarella balls at the store, along with the phyllo shells, and faster than you can recite Jabberwocky a tasty small bite was created.
Pesto Mozzarella Cups
Servings: 10-15 (figure 2 cups per person)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 2 pkgs phyllo cups
- 1/2 cup pesto (store bought, locally bought, whatever you like)
- 30 “pearl” mozzarella balls
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce (again, whatever you like)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the phyllo shells from the package to the baking sheet. Fill each shell with a scan 1/4 teaspoon of pesto.
- Top the pesto in each cup with a mozzarella ball. Spoon maybe a 1/4 teaspoon of marinara sauce over the mozzarella.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheet after 5 minutes. The shell should pick up a bit of color and the mozzarella should start to melt.
I typically make these in 2 batches, starting the second batch when I notice that the plate holding the first batch is almost empty.