I came across a similar recipe while trying to figure out what to make for our regular Saturday night dinner. There are dozens of versions of this dish online. I think the first one I came across was by Robyn Stone at Add A Pinch.
Here’s my version of the recipe.
Spinach Artichoke Dip Chicken
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 65 minutes
- 8 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- cooking spray
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 16 oz. pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Trim chicken breasts of excess fat and connective tissue. Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
- Spray a 13″x9″ baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange chicken breasts, “skin” side up, in the pan, tucking a bit of the tip under the breast to prevent over cooking. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt. Saute the shallot for 3-5 minutes until softened. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Quarter the artichoke hearts and cut into 1/4″ pieces. Place in a clean dish towel, gather the corners together and twist to remove excess liquid. Place in a bowl.
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the spinach using the same dish towel. The drier the spinach and artichoke hearts the thicker the sauce will remain. Break apart the ball of spinach into the bowl.
- Add the cooled shallots, garlic, yogurt, mayo and cheeses to the bowl. Mix well to combine. Taste for flavor and add salt and/or pepper to taste.
- When the chicken has baked for 20 minutes remove the pan from the oven and top the chicken with the spinach-artichoke dip. Spread the dip evenly over the chicken.
- Return the chicken to the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes. The chicken should be cooked to 165°F. If not return it to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.