I made these for our holiday party this year. I was in search of a vegetable appetizer, something that was a single bit and savory. I found a recipe titled “Gluten Free Cucumber Slices Provençal” which fit the bill.
I’m not sure why the title includes the words “gluten free”. It is gluten free however I can’t conceive of a way to make the dish that would include gluten. Anyway, I made a few changes to the recipe so it fit it to my taste.
Cucumber with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
Servings: 30 pieces
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 2 English (or other long skinny) cucumbers
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato pesto/spread
- zest from 1 lemon
- fresh basil – about 1/4 cup chopped basil plus about 30 small basil leaves
- fine sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Rinse cucumbers. Use a vegetable peeler to remove some of the skin so a stripped pattern is created. Remove the ends from the cucumber and then cut into about 1″ thick pieces.
- Use a metal teaspoon measure to scoop out some of the center of each piece, creating a bowl to hold the filling. Place cucumber pieces, bowl side up, on a piece of paper towel. Sprinkle with sea salt and let sit for 5 minutes. Flip cucumber pieces bowl side down to drain and make the filling.
- Combine sun-dried tomato pesto, zest adn the 1/4 cup of chopped basil in the bowl of a small food processor. Blend to chop up small pieces and combine. If the mixture is too think you can loosen it with a bit of lemon juice, or water. Taste for salt/pepper and adjust if needed.
- Fill the bowl of each cucumber with about 1 teaspoon of filling. Top with a small basil leaf.
- Chill until ready to serve.
I used a jar of store-bought sun-dried tomato pesto. It was OK but I thought it needed a bit of doctoring.
These can be made hours in advance of serving as long as they are kept wrapped and chilled.