Our favorite winter farmer’s market has returned and with it a bounty of root vegetables. One of our favorites is rainbow carrots. They come in purple, yellow, white and the usual orange. They are a wee bit of color in the otherwise drabness of winter.
This recipe is inspired by one we saw Jamie Oliver make on Food Network (or maybe it was Cooking Channel).
Shaved Carrot Salad with Spiced Pork
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. rainbow carrots
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced with a mandolin
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Peel carrots and discard outer skins. Using the vegetable peeler shave ribbons of carrots into a bowl.
- Toast the cumin seed in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant. Grind cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle. Combine ground cumin and a pinch of kosher salt with the lemon juice and olive oil. Add lemon zest, shallots and grated ginger. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a 12″ non-stick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the ground pork. Break into smallish pieces, sprinkle with a generous pinch of kosher salt and cook for 5-7 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned. Add garam masala, toss to coat and incorporate.
- Toss the carrots with the dressed shallot. Divide carrots between plates.
- Spoon spiced pork over the carrots. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.