This cake is a riff on one my dad really enjoyed and that my family always called Bob’s Chocolate Cake. That recipe, handed down by my great grandmother to my dad, is delicious in memory and short on instructions. This one seeks to fill in some of the gaps in that recipe.
Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes plus time to cool
- 5 oz. dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. espresso powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 13″x9″ aluminum pan with baking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
- Combine chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat at 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring after each heating, until butter and chocolate is combined. Add the espresso powder and combine.
- Transfer chocolate mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla to the bowl. Beat until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients in 3 batches and mix to combine in between each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes, rotating pan 180° halfway through baking.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan then remove from pan and fully cool before frosting.
My family frosts almost every cake with a simple butter and powdered sugar icing. We tinted this one orange for no real reason other than white seemed a little boring.