Here’s a taste of (Americanized) Thai food in your own kitchen. Yeah, that sounds a bit cheesy. Honestly this is just a simple combination of a handful of ingredients that can have a big impact. Plus, it comes together quickly so it is great on a crazy weeknight. I think it took longer for the rice to cook than it did to complete this dish.
Red Curry Shrimp and Peas
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 2 Tbsp.brown sugar
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 2 Tbsp.fish sauce
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat a the oil in a large pot over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the onions and pepper, reduce heat to medium low. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring periodically, until the onions and peppers are beginning to soften.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan and stir to incorporate any solids with the liquid. Bring to a simmer. Add the curry paste and brown sugar, stir to combine.
- Add the shrimp and peas, return to a simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir once or twice to make sure all the shrimp have a chance in the cooking liquid. When shrimp begin to turn pink remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the fish sauce. Taste for salt and pepper; adjust as desired.
- Serve over white rice.