If one were to look through my side dish section of my Recipe Index you would find numerous recipes for roasted vegetables. Over time we’ve found that many vegetables that I once thought were nasty only needed a better preparation to make them pretty darn awesome. Asparagus is certainly one of those.
Prep time: 5 minutes (really however long it takes your oven to preheat)
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus stalks
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Rinse asparagus and shake dry. Snap root end off each spear and place on a double layer of paper towels. Cover with another layer of paper towels and pat dry.
- Transfer dry asparagus to a bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed sheet pan.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven and cook for 5 minutes. Toss asparagus and redistribute into a single layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly darkened.
- Toss with remaining oil, lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice (mind the pips). Arrange on a serving plate, sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste and serve.