My husband isn’t a huge fan of frosted cake so I try to find something a little different each year for his birthday celebration. This year I hit upon a blueberry muffin-like creation. Inspiration came from a blueberry crumb cake recipe.
Wanting something (slightly) lighter than the uber-buttery crumb cake I left out the crumb topping and opted for a sprinkle of sugar and spice.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
- 1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground all-spice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. table salt plus a pinch
- 10 Tbsp. room temperature unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- Position the baking rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar, the cinnamon, all-spice and a pince of salt to a small bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and remaining 1 cup of sugar in the bowl of stand mixer. Mix for 1 minute on low to bring the ingredients together and then beat for 2-3 minutes until light and airy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing to combine after each additional. Add the vanilla and sour cream; again mixing to combine.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the batter and mix until just combined.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the mixer and fold in the frozen blueberries.
- Use a disher to fill the cupcake liners. Sprinkle each cupcake with about 1/3 teaspoon of the cinnamon-allspice-sugar mixture.
- Bake both cupcake pans on the same baking rack for 30 minutes; rotating pans (and swapping sides) half way through. Test for doneness with a toothpick; it should come out clean with no crumbs or batter sticking to it. A little blue from a errant blueberry is certainly possible but not a concern.
- Cool for ~15 minutes on racks. Remove from the cupcake pans and enjoy.
A disher, such as one of these, makes cupcake, muffin, cookie and pancake prep so much easier.
This recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart’s Classic Blueberry Crumb Cake.