Pinto and and Black Beans with Tomatoes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, 1/4″ dice
- 2 bell peppers, 1/4″ dice
- 1 long pepper (such as a pasilla or Anaheim), 1/4″ dice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 x 15.5 oz. Pinto Beans (low sodium if possible)
- 1 x 15.5 oz. Black Beans (low sodium if possible)
- 1 x 28 oz. Diced Tomatoes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium hot until shimmering. Add onions & peppers along with a generous pinch of salt. Stir to coat and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- While the vegetables cook drain and rinse the beans. Drain most of the liquid from the tomatoes as well.
- Add the garlic powder, paprika, cumin and coriander to the cooked vegetables and stir to incorporate. Cook for 30 seconds to a minute until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, beans and about half a cup of water. Mix everything together. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for ~20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt, pepper, etc. to your liking.