I was roasting a chicken the other night and realized I hadn’t thought up a side to go with it when deciding to cook the chicken. I had a bit of bacon left in the fridge from another meal so I decided to fry that up. Of course bacon with chicken isn’t really a complete meal. 🙂 so I went in search of something more. After a quick pantry consultation I decided on some gnocchi. It was hot so I didn’t want to bring a whole pot of water to boil so I thought I’d give cooking it in a skillet a try. It came out great.
Skillet Gnocchi with Parmesan
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 Tbsp. bacon fat
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 17.5 oz. pkg. potato gnocchi
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat fat and and broth in a 12″ non-stick skillet until broth is boiling.
- Add gnocchi, spread into a single layer and cover. Cook for 2-3 minutes; check for doneness. Continue cooking for another minute if they aren’t done.
- When cooked through sprinkle with red pepper flakes and grated cheese. Stir to incorporate. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes so that sauce may thicken slightly.
- Taste for seasoning. Add salt (sparingly) and fresh ground black pepper if desired.
The bacon fat adds a bit of flavor to a very basic dish. Along with the chicken broth it provides all the salt needed. It can be omitted; I’d double check the seasoning if you do.