Necessity is the mother of blah, blah, blah. Or something along those lines. The end of daylight saving time has messed up my pool of both desire to do much after work and my inspiration. Faced with both I turned to the cupboard for a weeknight dinner this week and came up with the following. I can envision making this again.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 16 oz. jar of your favorite salsa
- 2 15.5 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the salsa, chickpeas and 1/2 a cup of water. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and partially cover. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Test flavor, adjust with salt and black pepper as needed. Serve over white rice.
I used Newman’s Own Medium Salsa and Goya low-sodium chickpeas in this. We usually have both in the pantry.