As shocking as it may be to see me write this there are other ice cream toppings beside hot fudge and chocolate syrup. Heresy, I know, I know. Yet some fruit combinations provide a tart counter to ice creams creamy sweetness. Here’s one I came up with after rummaging through the freezer and finding a quart of fresh cherries I pitted last summer.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb. rhubarb, ends trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 3 cups previously frozen cherries, thawed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup tart cherry juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes until rhubarb has lost it’s shape.
- Taste and adjust salt and/or sugar to your taste.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes. This will allow the compote to set into a loose jam-like consistency