I think Ted came home from work with the suggestion for this recipe from a co-worker. In original form it is called “Crustless Cranberry Pie”. A web search turned up a numerous variations on the recipe so we picked one that seemed reasonable. We’ve made it a dozen plus times and love the result. We usually call it ‘giant cranberry cookie’.
Tonight I had no cranberries. Blueberries seemed a fair substitute. The color is definitely eye catching before baking.
Giant Purple Cookie
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Arrange an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat to 350°F. Grease a 9″ glass pie pan and set it aside.
- Mix together the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add the blueberries and walnuts, stir gently to coat.
- Combine the melted butter, eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl. Use a fork to combine the ingredients and then pour into the dry ingredient bowl. Stir to combine. The batter will turn purple.
- Transfer the batter to the greased pie pan and distribute evenly. Bake for 40 minutes, rotating the dish 180° halfway through baking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes on cooling rack before serving.