Our go-to cooking method for Brussels sprouts is to roast them. A couple of the cooking shows I watched over the last month though did a cooktop preparation of shredded sprouts. I was low on oven space one Saturday night and thought it was worth a try.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- Trim the bottom of your Brussels sprouts, removing any excess stem. Don’t worry if a leaf or two fall off.
- Fit a food processor with the slicing disk. Fill the feed tube of the processor with whole sprouts and processor. Repeat until you’ve shredded the lot. I had to empty the processor once due to the amount of sprouts I was cooking.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat until bubbly. Add the shredded sprouts, salt and pepper to the pot. Toss everything together in the pot and ignore for 4 minutes.
- Give the sprouts another good toss and once again ignore for 4 minutes.
- Toss once again and then taste. The sprouts should be tender; if not give them another minute or two.
- When cooked to your liking remove from the heat, add the balsamic vinegar and toss until well distributed.
This recipe can easily be halved. I basically doubled the quantities in recipes I found to come up with this.