My introduction to farro might have been almost a decade ago however I was reintroduced to it earlier this year via the local megamart deli counter. They sell a farro salad with finely chopped vegetables that was quite tasty. Once I located a good source of farro I started experimenting with combinations for salads until I found one I liked.
Farro and Cauliflower Salad
Prep time: 20 minute
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 red pepper
- 4 oz. shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs such as chives or parsley
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cooked farro
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cut the cauliflower into small pieces, no bigger than 1/2″. Toss with the tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Prep the rest of your veggies. I quarter the zucchini, removed the seeds and then cut it into 1/4″ pieces. Same goes for the red pepper. I also cut the shredded carrots into smaller pieces.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until just fragrant. Transfer to your serving bowl and set aside.
- Make a basic vinaigrette from the shallots, mustard, vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine farro, veggies and herbs with the pine nuts. Toss to combine and then drizzle with the Vinaigrette. Toss some more until well combined. Enjoy.
Both the farro and cauliflower can be prepared in advance, even the day before.