I wanted a side dish that would combine some fresh vegetables (cukes/peppers) with some easy protein (canned beans). The dressing is based on one from FoodTV; they used it on a different salad however I liked the sound of it and it worked out well.
Cucumber and Bean Salad with citrus dressing
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 14.5 oz. can chickpeas
- 1 14.5 oz. can black beans
- 1 cucumber, peeled, quartered, seeded and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse the chickpeas and black beans, add to a bowl with the cucumbers and red peppers.
- In a jar combine the remaining ingredients, shake well. Pour about half of the dressing over the vegetables, toss to combine. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with remaining dressing available for those who want it.
The vegetables can be combined up to 2 hours in advance and the the dressing can similarly be made up to a day in advance. Store both in the refrigerator until 30 minutes before serving.
I used Goya low-sodium chickpeas and black beans in this dish. If you aren’t using low-sodium beans then you might want to cut the kosher salt by half in the dressing.