This recipe was inspired by a search for some kind of grilled vegetable to go along with some oven-barbecued pork. I originally thought I’d make a summer squash sort of thing however my search results were underwhelming. When I expanded the search to just grilled vegetables I found one reference to grill green beans. I used the basic technique from that recipe, adding the sesame rather than their overly complicated onion/garlic/rosemary mash-up. I enjoyed the charred beans, which were a bit smoky ’cause grilling.
Grilled Green Beans with Sesame
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. white sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- a grill pan, such as this one
- Heat your gas grill to medium high for 10-15 minutes. Once the grill is started I trim the green beans.
- Combine the prepped green beans, vegetable oil, a generous pinch of kosher salt and a dozen grinds of black pepper in a large bowl. Toss the beans until well coated with oil.
- Place the grill pan over 2 active burners on the grill. Transfer the oiled green beans onto the grill pan and spread the beans across the pan. Close the cover and ignore for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir the green beans, spread across the pan once again and cook for another 3-4 minutes, cover up this time. While the green beans cook toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat for a minute or so. You want the sesame seeds to be lightly browned. Once toasted transfer the sesame seeds to a small bowl to prevent burning in the hot pan.
- Check a green bean; if it is not done to your liking then toss, spread and cook for another minute at a time until you are happy with the done-ness. When done remove the grill pan from the heat.
- Transfer the grilled green beans to a bowl. Add the toasted sesame seeds and toasted sesame oil. Toss, adjust salt and pepper if necessary and serve.
Green beans can be prepped up to 2 hours in advance. Cover with a barely-damp paper towel and stash in the fridge.