Certain cakes go best with certain icings. A carrot cake with out cream cheese frosting is just isn’t the same. I also use this for red velvet cake.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Servings: enough to frost a 13″x9″ cake (or probably 2 8″ rounds)
Prep time: 2 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- 12 oz. room temperature cream cheese
- 12 oz. room temperature unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 24 oz. powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk or heavy cream
- Combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on low for about 30 seconds to break out both and move to high for 2 minutes to cream both ingredients together.
- Reduce the speed to low once again and add the vanilla. Beat on medium for 30 seconds to incorporate.
- Once more reduce the speed to low and add about a third of the sugar and a tablespoon of milk. Beat until combined and repeat with the second third of sugar and another tablespoon of milk.
- Add the remaining sugar and once combined with the frosting increase the mixer speed to high. Beat for 1 minute to incorporate air and increase the volume of the frosting.
It’s important for the cream cheese and butter to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before making this frosting.
12 oz. of cream cheese is 1 1/2 packages and 12 oz. of butter is 1 1/2 sticks at my mega-mart.