I wanted a bit of sweet-salty crunch with the salad we made as part of our Christmas Eve dinner this year. After bouncing options off my husband I opted for a quick online search where I found this recipe that sounded promising. A bit of on-the-fly modification produced a tasty result.
Stovetop Spiced Pecans
Servings: 1 cup nuts
Prep time: nada
Total time: less than 5 minutes
- 1 cup whole pecans
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper for finishing
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the pecans. Toast for about 1 minute, swishing the nuts around the pan frequently. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet, allow the sugar to melt and swirl to combine the spices.
- Return the nuts to the pan and toss to coat. Allow to cook for another minute until the nuts are well-coated with sugar and spice.
- Transfer nuts to a rimmed baking dish lined with parchment or a silicone mat. Spread the nuts out so they don’t touch. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes and then transfer to a sealable container.
Let these cool at least a minute or two before tasting; the sugary coating is lavatastic when it first comes out of the skillet.