Some years back we were watching Aarti Sequeira’s show, Aarti Party, on Food Network and she made Greens ‘n Beans. I made it once following her instructions and decided after that I wanted something a bit different. Here’s my version:
Beans and Greens
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb. kale leaves
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup “red matter” (or 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot)
- 2 red Fresno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 29-oz. can small white beans (habichuelas blancas is what I get), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- In a large dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the “red matter” (or shallot) and pepper along with a pinch of salt. Stir to coat with oil and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the kale, which will likely fill the pot. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt. Dump the rinsed beans on top, add the water and cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Using tongs give the kale and beans a stir. Taste a piece of kale; if it is done move on to the next step. If not recover and cook for another 5 minutes. If the pot looks a bit dry add another 1/4 cup of water.
- When the kale is done sprinkle with the vinegar and stir. Adjust the salt and pepper and serve.
I buy a 1 lb. bag of pre-cut kale as I hate removing the kale from the stem. There are few pieces of stem in the bag however they seem to cook up in the same time as the kale.
“Red matter” is a guajillo and caramelized shallot jam that my husband makes in large batches a couple of times each year. It turned our dressing a festive red. A shallot can be substituted.